Blogging Tips & Tricks

There is always a way to make your life easier or more streamlined. Those are the tips I love to read about so I wanted to share a few of mine related to blogging that I have picked up along the way.

  • Schedule Your Posts: People love structure and routine. Consistently posting and having a schedule will keep your readers coming back. After typing your blog post, go to Post Settings on the right hand side, click on Schedule, and Set Date and Time. This is also a great feature because you can write quite a few posts in advance and set them up if you plan on being away from the computer for a while. Also, check out the best times to post Here.
  • Have a Theme: Think about what you are good at. Great organizer? Good at giving advice? Whatever it is hone in on your skill set because it is a lot easier to write what you know. And I would much rather read an organizing blog from a dedicated organizer than from Miss. Messy Pants. 
  • Create a Reference: Print out pictures, write lists, or create a pin board that you can reference for ideas, and tutorials. 
  • Refresh: Do not post anything immediately after writing it. Our best work comes from stepping away from the computer, living offline for a day or two and then coming back with "fresh eyes." Just like writing essays in college, when you come back to your work you may just find a spelling error or think of a new idea to add.  
  • Think Critically: Go to your favorite websites and blogs and be critical. Why do you like visiting so much? What is it about their page that makes you subscribe and keep coming back for more? I am assuming they have great content but is it their layout too? 
  • Load Fast: There is nothing more annoying than having to wait an extra 10 seconds for a page to load. Those graphics are beautiful but it is a personal pet peeve of mine. Streamline. Keep only the essentials and don't have more than 6 posts on the front page. Readers will get an idea of what you are about after the first 2-3. 
  • Linky Parties: This is one of the best ways to get the word out about your blog and they are a lot of fun. Check out some Here.
  • Promote, Promote, Promote:  You have great content, now how do you get people to read it? Here's an Infographic explaining how. Another great resource Here.
  • Patience: I have a long way to go and though I work everyday on my blog sometimes I just have to do my work and then step back. I recommend you do the same and grab a chocolate truffle while you are at it for all your hard work! :)

Learned any new tips or tricks recently? Add your 2 cents in the comments below. Or find more tips here.

7 comments:

  1. Great post.

    I'd also include "being honest". This sounds easy, but it isn't always that way. It makes writing a lot easier because you're not pretending to be something you aren't. This also includes trying to emulate other successful blogs, because what works for someone else might not always work for you.

    The loading fast is a definite must have. We're all so bad with waiting, no matter how long, but it has become commonplace to leave.

    matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these great tips. I enjoyed reading this. :)

    Shannon
    Sweet n Sassy in 2nd

    ReplyDelete
  3. In addition, continuous update of your blog is very important. Don’t let your visitors get bored with your old graphic style and content. Give your visitors something new to read and look at. Always have something new to offer. Being updated is a good thing!
    @ Reach for Freedom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for posting this! I will make sure to use these tips since I am new to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much. I will look into the Linky party. I never heard of that. This summer I started a blog with free ideas for teachers who want to highlight leadership and the 7 Habits - I decided to make the kind of blog I would want to stumble upon. But now I would love some readers so I can share these simple ideas. Ha. Anyway, thanks so much. Now I need to go check out your TpT store...
    Oh, in case you know any teachers who like focusing on leadership and inspirational videos...
    lisasleaders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I love the quote you chose for your store!

    ReplyDelete